Union Buildings

Union Buildings

Monday 4 January 2016

Forty years on: 1954 to 1994

Jeremy B Shearar, DDG, says goodbye 
When the time comes to lay your official pen down for the last time or in these more technological days, sign off from your computer terminal, and allow your thoughts to roam across 14,713 days spent in the service of the State and the Department of Foreign Affairs, you are struck first of all by how much everything has changed: work, Department, the State itself.

You close your eyes and because you were deeply influenced by your years in France, you remind yourself of the verity of that French aphorism: ''Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose." Then you strip the immensity of the technological advances of our lifetime and reduce our world to its human essentials; it becomes apparent that humankind has changed little, if at all, during recorded history. Voices speak to us across the centuries from Egypt, from Greece, from China, if we could decipher them, from pre- Columbian America, with the same thoughts and ideas as we have today, even if we try to dress them up in complicated language.

If this is true of recorded history, what have I been doing for the past forty years? Simply expanding my knowledge and understanding of an unchanging humanity? And, if so, what do I say now to those who have shared with me these unchanging years as human beings struggling to come to terms with the pressures of technological achievement?

FIrst of all. to the only one left who was here when I started, the Minister of Foreign Affairs himself, who is the living demonstration that human nature does not change. I remember the bleak forecasts of pessimism and threats of resignation in those early days when we walked home through the Union Buildings gardens as Cadets. I didn't really believe them then, any more than I do now. We have come a long way together and, perhaps because our natures are so opposed, we made, I think, a good team in Washington.

No reference to the Minister is complete without recalling the role played by his selfless and charming wife, Helena. She holds a particular comer in the hearts of both my wife and myself but for all of US shehas displayed a personal charm to make each one feel special and important. We were stunned by her accident and have followed her long illness as a personal tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with her constantly.

I would not lengthen the list by mentioning individuals among my colleagues. There are so many, starting with those who influenced my thinking and my ideas in my formative years in External Affairs, some of whom still provide the Department with the benefit of their experience, others who are now only nostalgic memories. We were a close knit group - financially we had no alternative - who made much of our own amusements both at office and extramurally. Not the least of them were table-tennis across the desk, cricket with a ruler and a rubber and amateur dramatics. We sometimes Used to say that our esprit de corps was cemented by the probability that we were misfits in the real world. Of such are the future formulators of policy made.

The Department has grown indescribably from those early days (possibly no division more than Administration), ever since an enquiry was made about twenty-five years ago into its order and method

procedures and naive line-function officers were confronted with a fearsome and incomprehensible document, known as KT2, whose sole purpose it seemed was to find out how much time was wasted on the telephone. The result was that the chief investigator was incorporated into the Department and developed around him a mighty and indispensable empire, by which he ruled our lives and drew us, like some engulfing quicksand, deeper and deeper into doing the Administration ourselves. Or so it seemed to us, who were beginning to be called line-function and wanted only to do that.

He leaves on the same day I do and I would not like him to go with the impression that there is not a great admiration for the work he has done to keep an ever more complex structure afloat and position it to withstand the onslaughts of our sister departments for the ever diminishing slices of the budgetary cake. My good wishes go with him: few could have coped with the painful illness that has dogged him these last few years and kept his colleagues' interests at the masthead as he has.

We, the diplomats, the shop window of the public service, sometimes tend to overvalue ourselves and overpraise such success as may have been achieved. Where would we have been without our secretarial and technical support staff? A good typist can even make a poor draft look better and it is only too easy to forget what we owe them. My thanks to all those who have over the years made my job easier, with a special word to those who in the last two and a half years have helped to found the office of the Deputy Director- General (Multilateral) and to keep it functioning.

These remarks are applicable a fortiori to the local staff in our Missions abroad. For those I have worked with I have the greatest admiration, especially in their loyalty to a government that was not the toast of the world and which it took them twenty years of unbroken service to have the opportunity of observing at home.

To my colleagues, past, present, and future, career and contract: it has been a privilege working with you all, through the good times but more especially the bad, through the agreements and the occasional argument.

You have been good to me and to Penny and I hope that we have responded in kind. I have been specially encouraged by the development of the Multilateral Branch and the speed with which those who found multilateralism a new concept, have responded to the challenge and developed an expertise and understanding over a short period of time that has won them the respect of their peers both within and outside the Department. As the thrust of international relations explores the uncertainties of the post cold war era, the multilateralist will come into his own. You are the nucleus and the pioneers of a demanding future for a Department no longer shackled by the chains of domestic policy.

Remember, though, that multilateralism makes exceptional demands on you and your family: it requires a special breed to cope. I have been lucky to have had the support and companionship of a wife and family that have adapted to those demands, even in the face of growing international hostility to our representatives in the seventies and eighties. I cannot thank them enough: there are many times I have wondered whether we had the right to expect our families to share the burden of representation abroad.

I need not say much here about Penny. Those of you who have come to know her will understand what I would like to say far more adequately than I can express it. Suffice it that, if I showed any consideration

to my staff, it was because she has been my conscience, my eyes and my ears on their behalf whenever (most of the time that is) I was forgetful of their needs.
  
To answer some personal questions of my working life that occasionally arise:
               Nadir:    Our suspension from the 25th Conference of the International Red Cross.
               Zenith:   The past six years.
Notable achievement: Never to have made a photostat or sent a fax myself.
               Regret: Not to have spoken in the General Assembly or headed a major bilateral
mission.
               Favourite composer:       Mood of the moment. as patient colleagues are aware.
               Greatest frustration:        That I could never persuade the Department to spell my surname
correctly.
Greatest satisfaction:      My wife and children.
  
Would we do it again? If you still remember the
opening paragraphs you will see that we are
predestined to repeat our mistakes. We have often
talked about this together, Penny and 1, and are agreed
  
that as the balance overall was positive, the answer
given the choice, is probably yes. But we should like to
examine the options.


No comments:

Post a Comment