Union Buildings

Union Buildings

Monday 16 January 2017

Culture shock - the Madagascar experience


Rudi Conley, Antananarivo

Some months ago I set foot on the tarmac of Ivato International Airport. This country will be my home for the next few years.

The interesting part of my arrival here is that I never envisaged three months ago that I would ever end up in Madagascar .. However, being in the job that I am, these things do happen. I have been told that the difference between a 'first, second 'and later posting lies in the words "when?, where? and how much?". This being my first posting, my first reaction on learning that I had been posted to Madagascar was one of "When do I leave?".

Although being advised and informed by colleagues, a post report, books and magazines, nothing of these could ever prepare anyone for that which lies ahead. My initial response was one of "not so bad". However, this was only what a psychologist would term a "feeling of denial". By verbally expressing my feelings of "not so bad", I was only making matters worse for myself. Things came into perspective when the culture shock officially dawned on me that same evening.

Everything,inside me cried for home:  South-Africa !-. - violence or no violence, stywe pap, mieliepap (although I am a Capetonian), a deep cry for relief from my feeling of helplessness and depression. The process of accepting my situation was not easy. During the weeks that followed, I went through a very painful process of accepting circumstances that were  terribly different: A strange language, a poor infrastructure, unhygienic open air butcheries, overloaded busses, chickens and cattle roaming the streets.

All this has brought a new dimension and introspection to my own cosy and relatively comfortable existence. After being here a year, a fellow colleague still experiences moments of emotional torment when seeing the trying living conditions that the Malagasy people are experiencing. Empathy and sympathy have to be weighed up closely every time you set out to go into the zuma (marketplace).

Being here for some time now, I have learned to accept and overcome my initial negative feelings. The secret lies in coming to terms with that Q which Madagascar has to offer. Identifying with the Malagasy situation causes one to try with vigour, determination and sincerity. This effort enables one to become part of the Malagasy people and their situation. Ask any "Wasa" (foreigner) about their feelings about eating Ravintoto (green dish consisting of cassava leaves and pork meat). Being a good diplomat my comment after my first experience was "no comment".

These experiences are great stepping  stones for the future and furthermore will strengthen us to serve our country in an excellent manner.

To all my fellow colleagues posted in Africa, I would like to encourage you to hang in there: we are experiencing the best time of our careers


No comments:

Post a Comment