Union Buildings

Union Buildings

Thursday 17 September 2015

Rome report - events leading up to the closing of the SA legation



CONFIDENTIAL
The Secretary for External Affairs
MEMORANDUM COVERING THE EVENTS ·LEADING UP TO THE CLOSING OF THE SOUTH AFRICAN LEGATION IN ROME JUNE 10-11l

Submit ted by Dr. H.M. STOKER, formerly
Charge d’Affaires a i. of· the. South
African Legation, Rome.

  1. POLITICAL
As indicated in my confidential report of May 29th, the entrance of Italy into the war on the side of Germany had become a certainty. That is was only a question of days became increasingly evident. Until this time, some supposedly well-informed persons were still maintaining that there was still a good chance of Italy’s still holding off. I continued my contacts and calls. During the first week of June it appeared particularly from the Americans that they expected the crisis definitely from the 15th June on. The British and French viewing it as a certainty, did not, however, commit themselves to me so definitely as to the date.
Knowing that it would probably be our last such occasion, we had invited for dinner on Saturday evening, June 8th, some of those with whom I had been in closest contact: Sir Noel and Lady Charles (British Embassy Minister), Rear Admiral Bevin (British Naval Attaché), Commander and Mrs. Thornton (Naval ..Text missing….Counselor of the French Embassy), Mr. and Mrs. Blake (American Consul) and Mr. Balfour (Director of Barclays’s Bank, Rome).
As examples of the state of tension which affairs suddenly reached by that Saturday evening, the French guests telephoned a half hour before dinner asking to be excused, as they were packing to leave , Rear Admlral Bevan and Mr Balfour telephoned to ask  if they mlght come in lounge suits as they had no time to ohange for 8: 30.
Lady Charles, on entering the reception room said to Mrs. Stoker “I do wish that you were certain to be leaving with us on our ship in a few days!"  Sir Noel mage occasion to speak to·me asideas soon as possible. He said that he had wanted to see me urgently as he had receIved some important information late that afternoon and that hewould take this opportunlty to tell me that the'B:rltish now considered war inevitable wlthin the next four days. During more general ccnversa tion it was apparent that the Americans still voiced thelr ambassador's views, which he had expressed, to me during that week previously, namely that that they expected events to shape not before the 15th June.
As a result, particularly of the information received from Sir Noel, . I despatched to you in the early hours of Sunday morning, June 9th, an immediate cable to Pretoria, the contents or which are known to you.
Events, however, in reality, deve1oped at an unexpected tempo. On Monday morning, June l0th,,at about 11 a.m. word passed quIckly that the usual placard announcement that the Duce was to speakpublicly, were appearing all over the city. The hour' was to be 6 p. m. Rome time. This was the danger signal, for Mussolini himself had stated in an earlier speech that he would not speak in public again unless he had something of eminent importance to say. At 10 minutes before the speech of the Duce from the balcony of Piazza. Venetia, Sir Noel Charles te1ophoned me that his Ambassador bad just returned from the Foreign Office where the declaration of war had been handed him by the at once made sure that the declaration was specifically on the United Kingdom and France, and asked Sir Noel whether mention at aIl had been made by the Italian Government to the other allies or the other Dominions (which have no separate representation in Rome). He replied in the negative, and this was confiimed by Mussolini’s speech soon after. My position therefore remainded unchanged v Is-a-vis the Italian Government until such time as I should receive instructions from 'the Union Government.
Direct contact with the British was o£ course thenceforth impossible, save through the intermediary of the American Embassy ( protecting Power). Through the American Naval Attache, however, I secured an appointment with Sir Noel Charles for 10:30 p.m., to bid him good-bye, as I knew the British would be leaving w thin 24 hours for Ancona, there to embark on the ship which would take them to Lisbon.
As I was about to leave the Legation, your cable arrived, which had been despatched from Pretoria at about 4 p.m. that afternoon, in answer to my immediate cable of the previous day.
I instructed the Attaché, Mr Bruce, to proceed at once with the decoding. I asked him to telephone me if I were still at Sir Noel’s, if the contents required my immediate attention. He accordingly telephoned me and I returned to the Legation as quickly as the first night of black-out conditions in Rome permitted. The contents of your cable, although despatched from Pretoria before Mussolini’s declaration of war on Great Britain and France were fortunately stated in such a manner that I could react to them immediately and I realized that I must act quickly as barely 24 hours were at my disposal to proceed to Ancono, with the British.
By telephone I at once sought for an interview with the Italian Foreign Minister or Signor Ansaldo, permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs.
I succeeded in making the appointment at the Italian Foreign office for 12 midnight and after having changed to appropriate dress, the American Naval Attaché took me in his car to my destination. I was conducted to the office of the Foreign Minister and was received by Count Ciano who walked the length of the office to meet me. He was dressed in a dark suit and had a white flower in his button hole and apparently came from a party. He requested me to be seated next to him. I stated that I had come on instructions of my government and handed him the official letter requesting the passports etc. Attached to this were three copies of the names and addresses of the South African Legation staff and their families.
He read it through calmly and asked whether, since the contents made only mention of passports etc, and nothing about a declaration of war, it should be interpreted as meaning that diplomatic relations only had been broken off between the two Governments. I answered that I had been instructed only to request the passports. But I added that in my personal opinion there was no doubt in my mind but that the Union was at war with Italy and that I surmised th the Union Government had given the actual declaration to his Minister in Pretoria. I advanced this as my personal opinion since I felt that I had to give a clear and decisive answer to his question. I was reasonably sure that the Union Government would have informed mehad diplomatic relations only been broken off. I felt that my reply was the only correct one as my former Minister in Berlin had had a similar experience. Moreover, it was in general agreement with the spirit or the instructions contained in your Secret Circular.
I mention this part of my conversation with Count Ciano in particular for the reason that the following day the Italian newspapers carried an inaccurate report of my conversation with the Foreign Minister. The report is enclosed. Translated it reads as follows:
“Declaration of War on Italy by British Dominion
The Charge d’Affaires of the Union of South Africa ·last night informed the Minister for Foreign' Affairs . Count Ciano, that he has received instructions from his Government to request his passports and those of his staff, ad has added that such a communication must be considered as equivalent to a declaration of a state of war between Italy and the Union of South Africa.”
Any courtesies and arrangements for our departure were now biding in the hands of
the Italian Government.  Count Ciano himself then suggested that it might be possible for the South Africa Legation to leave at the same time as was arranged for the British, namely to leave Rome by train at 11 p.m. on Tuesday night June 11th for Ancona and to proceed on the same boat with them ·to Lisbon.
I immediately took this up and stated that I would appreciate it very much if such
arrangements could be made and added that I was sure that I would be able to make my arrangements connected with the closing of the Legation and the departure of the staff and families within the then remaining 23 hours. Ciano replied that he would see what could be done and said that he would inform me in the course of the morning.
After the exchange of a few more words I made ready to go. Count Ciano accompanied me to the door and after a mutual expression of personal greetings I took my leave.                        
With respect to the above interview I must state that the Italian Foreign Minister behaved throughout correct and courteous.
On returning to the Legation I at once informed all the staff members of the tentative arrangement and all proceeded to finish packing and close their affairs.
During my absence from the Legation contact had been established and an appointment made with Mr M.P. Hooper of the American Embassy and officer in charge. I proceeded by car to his house at about 1.30 a.m. and handed to him the official letter addressed to his Ambassador, containing the provisional request to take charge of Union Nationals, property and interests in Italy. We proceeded with the business which was completed the 'next day at about six o'clock p.m. at which time the American Embassy officials placed their seals on the doors of the Legation entrance.
2. ADMINISTRATIVE
               The aggravation of the political situation in Italy since the beginning of the second quarter in 1940, her increasingly hostile attitude, particularly toward England and the likelihood of her participation in the war on the side of the enemy, made it necessary to take a number of precautionary measures concerning the closing of the Legation in case war should break out. It was possible due largely to the full co-operation and able assistance of the Legation staff when war   actually did break out and depart from Rome on a day's notice.
The British and French Embassies had already established some considerable time before the outbreak of hostilities, informal contact with the Italian Protocol Division in regard to the number and the manner o! evacuation of the respective diplomatic and consular officials in Rome (there were about 200 British officials and their families to be evacuated) as well as with the American Embassy whose Government would act as Protecting Power in the event or war.
These contacts and the provisional arrangements that resulted therefrom had the approval of the Governments concerned. They had in fact already reached quite an advanced stage as is evidenced by the fact that before war was declared the British were already informed by the Protocol of their respective reservations on the diplomatic train, and that the British Embassy had already in their possession a oopy of the reply to the copy of their official letter to the American Ambassador concerning the taking charge of British interests etc. in Italy. The originals were of course exchanged the day the war broke out.
Moreover, I tried to keep myself as well informed as possible in this connection and the experience gained in Germany was of great assistance.
I was informed for instance that in the event of war with the United Kingdom each individual, including children, would be allowed to take two trunks (heavy luggage for the van) plus a reasonable amount of hand baggage and suitcases for the compartment. Incidentally, the South African Legation later was allowed the same baggage allowance which proved to be quite adequate and all the staff was in a position to take their personal effects and clothing with them.
Furthermore, drafts of the official letters to the Italian Government and to the head of the Mission of the Protecting Power in the event of war were already prepared some time in advance.  
      On several occasions, however officials of the American Embassy approached me informally ln regard to the arrangements we were making in the event of war and the name of the Mission which would be requested to take charge of our interests etc.  Concerning the latter part of the above question I informed them that I have received as hyet no information.
      On Monday morning June 10th Mr. Hooper of the American Embassy and officer in charge for the taking over of the British and French interests etc., telephoned me from the Embassy. He asked me if I knew whether the Union Government had made any approaches to the United States Government to act as Protecting Power in the event the event of war. I replied that I had no information on this point. He said that if it was the intention to ask the United States Government to act as Protecting Power, in the event of war, it would be of material assistance  to them to be informed of it as soon as possible. He even suggested that he visit me within the next three days to talk things over. Realising the immediateness of the crisis I determined to use my own discretion. I seized the opportunity. thus created and requested an immediate interview with him at the Embassy. There we discussed pertinent matters of interest and he readily assented to my suggestion to retain the servi ces of Mr. Balboni, office Keeper of the Legation, should the American Government be the Protecting Power. I have your authorisation for the retention of Mr. Balboni's services on the condition that the mission who takes charge agrees.  I am enclosing a letter from Mr. Hooper of the 24th June 1940 addressed to me at Lisbon.in which he specifically makes mention of being satisfied with Mr. Balboni.

Soon after my return from the Embassy to the Legation I was informed of Mussolini’s speech whlch was 'to take place at 6 p.m. that evening. As the banks in Italy close at 11.30 a.m. it was too late to withdraw the lire balance of nearly 5000 lire from the bank.  An unsuccessful earlier attempt had been made to transfer the bulk of the starling account by cable to London. Reference in this connection is made in my minute from Lisbon of 2nd July 1940 in regard to the May and June accounts of the Rome Legation.
Immediately after war had been declared on Great Britian , the British secret cyphers which had not been destroyed before were destroyed by fire. The Embassy was duly informed of the destruction.
Upon the entry of the Union into war against Italy the following materials were destroyed by fire on June 11th. (a) Union Cyphers and codes; (b) balance of blank passports; (c) Passenger and Goods Rail Warrants; d) Expenditure and general Revenue Receipts.           
Certificates of destruction are enclosed with, respect to a) to d).
 By fire was also destroyed the following:
(a) Consular Black List
(b) Contraband Control material
(c) Secret and confidential files.
Enclosed is a copy of a summary of items handed over to the American Embassy as Protecting Power. Enclosed herewith is a further receipt of Petty Cash received. 'The American Embassy was furthermore advised in writing, as the enclosed copies of correspondence show, about the following matter:
(a) passport and visa work
(b) payment to South African pensioners of non Italian origin.
(c) furniture of Legation staff.
 They were also advised of Mr. D. Balboni’s salary and of his monthly allowance for cleaning the Legation premises.
On June 11th, the Honorary Trade Commissioner for the Union o£ South Africa in Italy Mr. Viezzoli situated in Genoa was officially advised o£ the termination of his title and services.
I furthermore enclose herewith (a) Mr. Balboni's incremental certificate (in duplicate)
(b) the official reply of the American Ambassor in reply to my letter of June l0th, requesting him to take charge provisionally of our interests etc. in Italy.
(c) List o£ Archives and Index to Commercial Files. The files destroyed by fire are crossed out by red pencil.
(d) Library List.
The two sets of keys belonging to the big safe were handed to the Lisbon Legation for Safe keeping as well as the lower part of the Union's embossing seal. A receipt for those articles is attached. The rest of the embossing seal was placed in the big safe along with all the rubber stamps a sample copy of the latter is enclosed. The balance of the Consu1ar stamps were also taken over by the Lisbon Legation. Of this you have already been informed.
3. Departure from Rome
The Italian Government posted their guards outside the Legation all during the night and the next day.
On Tuesday, June 11th, at 12 o'clock noon, the chef of the Protocol informed me by telephone that the necessary arrangements had been made for our departure to Ancona and that they would 'call for us at 11 p.m. to proceed to the station. He also stated that they will call for all the baggage of the Legation staff at 5 o’clock that afternoon.
At 11 p.m. the cars placed at our disposal by the Italian Government arrived to take us to the station. There we were all given adequate and comfortable accommodation and breakfast next morning before reaching Ancona.  From the Ancona station to the ship "Conte Rosso” we were conveyed in busses and cars. Our accommodation on the boat were also comfortable. It did not sail however, until the 20th June and we were held incommunicado during the time, although ,treated very courteously. The ship was fully lighted after we left the harbour (where it was blacked out every night)' every night and painted with the Italian flag – and the word “Diplomat”. Our voyage was uneventful safe perhaps at Catania, off the Sicilian coast where we stayed for two days and a night.  We reached Lisbon on June 26th at 5 p.m. but due to overcrowded, refugee conditions were not put ashore until the following morning. Minister Pienaar met us on board on June 26 and handed me your cabled instructions, according to which Mr Bruce was to proceed to Washington and the ret of the staff to South Africa.
Mr. Bruce accordingly proceeded to the United States on July 31rd via the S.S. Nea Hellas, a Greek ship, and the other members of the staff sailed for the Union on June 30th on a Japanese boat.
I having received consent for 38 days leave proceeded to the Uni ted States with my family on theSS Nea Hellas on July 3rd, returning to the Union on the M. S. Challenger reaching Cape Town September 21st. I reported for duty In Pretoria on Monday morning, September 23rd.

Pretoria

27th September 1940

No comments:

Post a Comment